Friday, June 10, 2005

I have a dream...

Hello everyone,
Well, the Move is finally completed, and we have a phoneline in place. We weren't supposed to have it until the 13th of June, but the nice BT technician actually called and asked us if we had time for him to come earlier (imagine THAT!) This happened over a week ago, but I've been too busy/tired/sleep deprived to blog (or form coherent thoughts.) Sorry! However, you won't be left hanging. Here's a sneak preview of our lounge:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I went to my first pre-natal class at the hospital yesterday... I was expecting I'd know most of the stuff they mention anyway, what with the hypnobirthing classes and all the compulsive reading I've been doing, but I thought it'd be a nice way to meet people in the area. There were several first time parents-to-be, and epidurals featured in the conversation quite a lot.


So I came home and I was talking with Peter about it, and then after we went to bed, I had the most amazing dream:

I had gone into labor, and I was in the hospital (because I wasn’t full term yet.) So I was in this room with other women in labor, and each of us was doing her own thing. I was basically naked and on all fours, and I wasn’t feeling any contractions at all, but I was just visualizing my uterus muscles working the right way, and opening up etc… Peter then checked me and proclaimed I was 4 cm dilated. So I got really excited about progressing so nicely. I continued doing the same thing, and I sort of zoned out for a while, and when I became aware of my surroundings again, all the other women were gone, and Peter was gone too. So I got up and walked around a bit, and found this room where there was the Midwife teaching our class, with several labouring women on beds. She looked at me and said really sarcastically,
“Oh, what are you doing here, aren’t you doing your little hypnosis?”
I said “I am, and it’s going fine, but I’m not having any contractions, but I’m progressing nicely.”
“Well, if you’re not feeling contractions, you’re not getting anywhere.”
“Yes I am, do you want to bet? You check me, and if I’m not at least 5 cm dilated, I’ll do whatever you want, you just tell me.”
So she said,
“If you lose, I just want your name, to add to my list of women that thought they knew what they were doing, but didn’t. I have 14 names already.”
“Ok, but if I win, I want you to tell all of these women that they don’t have to feel pain to have their baby.”

So she took an assistant midwife with her, and we went to the next room… She stood there, and the assistant sort of peered between my legs, and asked her,
“If a woman came to the maternity ward and said she wanted you to admit her, because she thought she was having a baby, but she isn’t feeling any contractions yet, what would you do?”
“I wouldn’t do anything, I’d just send her home, because she couldn’t possibly be in established labour.”
“Well, then, you’d be wasting precious time,”
and she moved out of the way, and my baby’s head was out!
And that was about it, basically, I had my baby and went home… Baby was a boy in the dream, incidentally.

It was so strange; I don’t often have dreams that are THAT clear and coherent. It took me a while to realise it wasn’t true when I woke up. I feel kinda bad for casting the poor Midwife as the Villain in my dream, she certainly was nice and she said a lot of valuable things too –certainly wasn’t anything like in my dream. But I felt SOOOO smug when I woke up, and I have to say it’s nice to know my subconscious and I are on the same page about this!

I have to apologise for this post, I know that all of this is of no interest whatsoever to anyone who isn't pregnant (hello everyone!) but this dream made my day, and I needed to record it. Here, I'll make it up to you. Have a new Belly Picture (33 weeks today!)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And since this post has been written with the sole purpose of boring you to sleep (hypno-blogging, tee-hee-hee!) here's a funny story. I found this link at Blue's Blog. Thanks Blue!

No comments: