Thursday, June 05, 2008

Good Vibes

I just need to briefly update anyone who reads this and knows my family personally:
My mum is in hospital. As you may or may not know, she has Lymphoedema on her legs, which is not very well managed (largely because she refuses to follow the doctor's instructions.) Apparently, it's gotten worse recently, and she also developed a "wound" on her heel that was not heeling. When they called the doctor, he said the "wound" is a pressure sore, and she needed to go to hospital. She got admitted to Laiko Hospital on Friday night.
She is now in hospital, where:
1: They are treating her foot. They cleaned out all the "dead" flesh, and put her on antibiotics. They said it will take 10 days before they can say conclusively that it's gone, but she seems to be responding very well so far.
2: They are trying to get her legs under control. This is the first we ever heard of it, but according to the doctor she saw in the hospital, if all that fluid doesn't get removed from her legs, it could cause pulmonary oedema (don't ask me why.) So they put her on diuretics, and she is in bed with her legs elevated (as she should have been doing at home, I hasten to add, if only she did what the doctor told her to.) She also found it very hard to breathe for a few days, because of lying down with her legs elevated, and all the fluid draining out, so she was given an oxygen mask to use on a need to basis. She doesn't use it that much anymore, but she did a lot in the first few days.
3: She got a complete medical work up (YES! FINALLY!) which, when I'm trying to stay positive, might be worth going to hospital just to achieve that. Miraculously, everything is fine. No blood pressure problems, no heart problems, no blood sugar problems.

According to the latest information we got, she will be in hopistal for "at least a month" and will take at least 6 months to fully recover (they had to remove quite a big part of her heel, so that wound will take a while to heal.) Andreas and Gianna are looking after her now, and after discussion with them, it was decided that it will be better if I go after she is out of hospital and help with things at home.

I will keep everyone updated (and feel free to phone me for more news) but please keep my mum in your thoughts. I am worried but also hoping that she gets out of hospital ok, she doesn't get any more complications while in there, and that this adventure makes her take her condition more seriously and take care of herself better in the future.

2 comments:

Marvellous Em said...

Hey, hope your mum does ok! I'm sure shes in the best hands at the mo ;o) Big hugs and hope your ok! Left you an e-mail but not sure if it the right address :os
Em
xx

Angie said...

I like your babies there, and I laughed a lot at the weirdly-made reborns, I always wanted to make fun at them but never had the guts, so thanks for that. Those are some cute kids you've got too...

So , if you see your map thingie and see Venezuela, that's where I am and it's a nice addition to your global collection. I'll keep visiting!

--Angie (just another reborner)