Friday, February 04, 2011

Maison Et Decoration.

This is for Evi, because I wub her :) (And anyone else who doesn't have anything better to do!)

I went around the house today and took a few photographs, so here's the virtual tour.

As you go in through the front door, the first room you see on the left is the main bedroom:

Taken from the door:



And standing in front of the mirror you can see in the previous photo. Yes, there are Christmas lights on my bed.



The white wardrobe is from a second hand furniture shop, the drawer cabinet used to belong to Peter's granny. I got the rug on ebay. The bedside tables are from the recycling centre (i.e. the tip,) the blue reading light was Peter's when he was little and the orange one used to be a vase that belonged to my mum in the 60's or 70's, we got it converted to a lamp before I moved to the UK. The bed is IKEA and the mirror is Argos.

There is another room that is a similar size to the main bedroom and it will be my mum's when she moves here, but for now it's essentially a store room, so no pictures of that one :)

Next, you go one floor down, and find yourself here:

The dining/computer room.



I got the table second hand on ebay when we moved to this house. It is extendable so you can get 3-4 people on each side when fully extended. The chairs are miss-matched and from a used furniture shop, but I like the style. The mirror came with the house, the rug is from ebay (bought together with the one in the main bedroom.) The sofa is also second hand (originally IKEA,) bought together with the matching one you'll see later in the lounge. I got them both for £70 or there abouts. The computer desk is from the recycling centre (the tip.)

The door you can see in the picture leads to the lounge:

Here's the view from the doorway. (Ignore the Christmas tree. There's a reason why it's still up. Yes, really.)



The armchair was my gran's and then my mum's (now covered with a removable cover, which is a bit of a necessity in this house!) The cabinet behind it belonged to Peter's granny. The table behind the armchair is a Singer sewing machine table (complete with the sewing machine hidden inside it) that was my granny's too. It's one of my favourite things.





In the photo above you can see the other second hand sofa. The rug was a wedding present :) The red cushions are from a charity shop (they match the red sofa!) and the stripy/dotty ones are felt patchwork, made by my granny. You can see the door leading back to the dining room. (And yes, Teddy is watching television. It's a singing DVD and I was trying to get him to have a nap.)

Go down another floor, and you get to the kitchen (converted basement.)



This table was our main table in the previous house. Now it's very handy when the kids are having breakfast or a snack. The wall behind it is a partition built around two load-bearing pillars in the kitchen... I'd rather it wasn't there, but oh well. Podge's hutch is down there too, until I get him a more suitable indoor cage. Then the hutch and run will go in the garden for him to enjoy when the weather is good.

You can see the layout better in this next photo:



And just to keep it real, here's what's behind the partition wall. You can see my piles of washed clothes (folded in different piles for every member of the family! How neat am I! :P) and random stuff on the counter top that I'm in the process of sorting out / throwing away.



And finally, if you make your way aaaaall the way up 3 flights of stairs to the top floor, you have the children's bedrooms and our second bathroom. (Yay! A second bathroom! I'm still giddy thinking about it...) Both the kids' rooms are a bit of a work in progress.

This is known as "the girls' room."




Bunkbeds and a cot bed (in bed mode) in the alcove under the window. I got the curtains on ebay to make the room more girly for Matilda. They match the lilac wall quite nicely :)

Stuck between the cot bed and the bunks is a toy chest from Ikea, that has all their dressing up clothes in it. Also useful as a stepping stone when they jump from one bed to the next.

It might be the girls' room, but this is actually where Philip chooses to sleep (or should I say "Princess Stinky!")



The view standing in front of the window:



We finally got some dedicated shelves for all their books. Although I think we'll need to get some more soon. Check out the Flower Fairy frames (we still need to hang them.) The frames are from the charity shop, the pictures inside them are illustratins cut out of a book, also bought from the charity shop. Matilda chose which fairies she wanted:



And finally, "the boys' room." This is where Teddy sleeps at the moment. It's the smallest room, quite narrow and an awkward L-shape.

The view from the doorway:



The drawer tables are from the tip again, but I painted the handles with metal paint to make them look brighter. The Globe was a Christmas present for Philip... It lights up, and it's one of my favourite things. I love looking at it in the dark.

This bed was second hand. It's got a tent-hiding place underneath. (Also a good place to put a second mattress for sleep-overs.) I need to glue a new velcro-strip on the side to hold the curtain in place, but it's great fun and the children love it.



From the foot of the bed, looking in the shorter part of the L-shape. This is where Teddy sleeps. The mobile in his cot was from his birth parents and he's had it since he was born.



Finally, no photographs of the bathrooms (the camera batteries died,) but I'll close with my favourite tip find of all times. Storage was a big problem in the bathroom until we found this:



Where the towels are there was a broken cupboard door, but we took it and the hinges off. Now we keep all the clean hand towels there. Cosmetics, toothbrushes, bottles etc go at the top, toilet paper, nappies and other bulky stuff at the bottom. It could do with a coat of paint as it's a bit scratched, but it's wonderfully solid. For £25, now I just need to figure out what colour to paint it!

And there you have it, our house!

1 comment:

Ruby's Mom said...

Your home looks so neat and cozy!