Wednesday, June 08, 2011

The Hapless Tourist




I was reading a couple of online tourist phrase books today (you know... because I had nothing to do with my day!) Among the usual "I would like a Coca-Cola" and "Which way to the _ Embassy please?" the following useful phrases were included:


GREETINGS:


Hello.
Good morning!
Good afternoon!
Good evening!
Call off your dogs!




SHOPPING:
How much is this?

That's too expensive.

I can't afford it.

I don't want it.
.
You're cheating me.

I'm not interested.

OK, I'll take it.
(I suppose the merchant was about to release his dogs...)



Authority:

I haven't done anything wrong.

It was a misunderstanding.

Where are you taking me?

Am I under arrest?

I am an American/Australian/British/Canadian citizen.

I want to talk to the American/Australian/British/Canadian embassy/consulate.

I want to talk to a lawyer.

Can I just pay a fine now?
Just WHAT is this guy planning to do in his holiday?!

Peter and I have just spent a merry evening shouting "It was a misunderstanding! Call off your dogs!"







No comments: